From Dog-Tired to Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed: My Fitness Journey

Once upon a time, there was a tired mom who just gave up on trying to be healthy. She stopped caring about what food she put into in her body, and she started choosing the tv and sedentary activities over exercise and outside activity.  When her jeans got too tight and she had to go purchase new, larger ones, she shrugged her shoulders and sighed.  She really didn't care anymore.  She didn't have enough energy to care.

I wish I could say exactly what happened that changed her apathy towards health and fitness.  I just remember that one day (for indeed I was this mom), I looked at myself in the mirror, and I cared.  I cried at the circles under my eyes and the exhausted, sad face.  I despaired that I was again close to having to get new, larger jeans.  I decided that enough was enough.  I was going to change; I just didn't know how.

A bright, flashing ad for a new gym in the area called OrangeTheory Fitness popped up in my Facebook feed that day.  I clicked through to the website and was intrigued by this different approach to exercise.  I called and signed up for a trial class, and then I went to the mall to buy some workout clothes that actually fit me.  Thus began an amazing health and wellness journey with OrangeTheory Fitness.  For two years, I faithfully went to five or six classes a week.  The community there inspired me; the trainers pushed me to do things I didn't think were possible.  I learned proper form for each exercise as well as how to use weights correctly and effectively.  I loved it!  I couldn't believe that I was willing and even eager to get up at 4:30 am to go to my 5 am class before school each day. 

Working out every day was great.  I started dropping pounds, my confidence soared, and my energy increased dramatically.  The next piece of the puzzle was nutrition.  Through several nutrition seminars at OrangeTheory, I learned that a lot of what I thought I knew about healthy eating was wrong.  I was not eating enough, and I was certainly not eating enough protein to support my new muscle growth.  Healthy living became a habit and a pattern for me.  I didn't have days when I wanted to just give up any more.  My new normal was consistent working out and consistent healthy eating.

Now, lest you think this is a commercial for OrangeTheory Fitness, it is not!  I loved my time there, and it was the catalyst I needed to launch my fitness journey and get me on the right track.  In other words, it worked for me.  I would encourage you, dear reader, to find out what works for you.  What gets you excited to exercise?  What makes you enthusiastic to eat right?  What will you be able to stick to long-term?

Last summer, my husband and I were reviewing the budget, and we realized that the high expense of a specialty gym like OrangeTheory just did not fit in our finances any more.  Reluctantly I cancelled my membership.  I was worried that I would not be disciplined enough to continue on my own without the motivation of my fellow gym members and trainers.  We scoured Craigslist and garage sales for a weight bench, free weights, and other exercise equipment.  I saved up to get a squat rack off Amazon and a rowing machine.  I decided that I was going to pursue weight lifting as my primary exercise.  I had no idea what I was doing; so I watched a lot of YouTube videos and read a book called Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews.  The book helped me plan out my workouts based on muscle groups.  In September, I started this plan and still follow the same pattern now:  chest/calves on Monday, back/butt/abs on Tuesday, shoulders/calves on Wednesday, arms/abs on Thursday, and legs/butt/calves on Friday.  I have changed up some of the exercises from time to time so I don't get bored; but I stick to the compound lifts that target multiple muscle groups, like barbell squats and dead lifts.  I try to fit in a couple of short, high-intensity cardio sessions each week, which might look like sprints on the treadmill, intense jumping rope, or rowing on the machine.  More often than not, my cardio comes from running soccer drills with my kids in the back yard, jumping on the trampoline, and playing basketball at the local park. 

It's been three years since I first stepped in that OrangeTheory gym and began fitness habits that continue to this day.  I do not obsess about working out; if I miss a workout due to illness or kid drama or the like, I chalk it up to "this is real life" and move on.  Some days, my weight lifting is awesome, and I make progress and feel super strong.  Other days, I feel weak and discouraged and have a not-so-great workout.  Regardless, I continue, because it is now an ingrained habit.  My kids know too that if mom's been to the garage and lifted weights that morning, she is going to be a happier and calmer mom.  It's good for everybody!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here's to the Dads!

In Loving Memory of My Mom

True Grit